Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Short Story: The One Talent He Gives Her

East Coast Park was the place she loved to go to. Evening was her best friend. She always visited East Coast Park with him. It was when he was doing his round that East Coast Park always had a bench that no one would sit in.There, sitting quietly alone, she would gently reflect about life and spent her time together with God.

Today was her birthday. But no one remembered it. No one bothered to.

She was not a popular girl. She was never a popular girl.

She was not a pretty girl. She was never pretty.

She was not a wise girl. She was never wise.

She was not a talented girl.

God is good, she was absolutely sure He is so, but somehow, in making her, He must have accidentally forgotten to give her a talent.

“Nobody remembered my birthday, Lord.” Xiao Hui uttered sadly, in sorrow.

She could feel the Lord just sitting beside her on the bench as they watched the sunset together.

“Not me. I remember.” It was a gentle whisper.

“Thank you,” replied Xiao Hui with a smile, a forced kind of smile.

Her heart was comforted by the Lord's love for her, but it was still sad over the fact that no human being remembered her birthday.

“See, I make you a birthday cake.” The same gentle whisper.

The cloud in the sky did appear to look like the shape of a cake.

Xiao Hui laughed, “Too bad I can't eat it, Lord.”

She could feel the Lord laughed together with her.

“You can, one day, when you come home to me. I guarantee you it will be the tastiest cake you will have ever eaten.” The Lord spoke in an assuring manner.

“I will love to taste it, dear Lord when I get home,” replied Xiao Hui.

She knew her Lord will never lie to her.She could feel the Lord smiling with joy even as she said that. Her faith in Him was what always pleased Him most.

“I was not selected for the mission team, my Lord,” Xiao Hui said, sadly.

“They said I had asthma.”

“I know,” the Lord replied, gently.

“I was also not selected for the church's choir, my voice was not in harmony with the rest of the team,” said Xiao Hui with a sigh.

“I did my best to fit in.”

“I know,” said the Lord, gently.

He was a good listener. There was the best thing about Him. He always listened before He spoke. He was very patient.

“The ushers' team had too many people, so it did not want me, either.” A tear fell down the eye of Xiao Hui.

“I know,” said the Lord, quietly. He placed an arm of His around the sorrowful girl.“Nobody wanted me,” said Xiao Hui in a sad tone.

“Not me. I wanted you,” said the Lord, gently, still as patiently as ever.

Xiao Hui smiled, “Thank you, Lord.”It was getting dark. The sun was almost nowhere to be seen.

“My Lord, I feel so much better, now. Thank you so much for being here with me,” said Xiao Hui with sincerity. The Lord smiled. Not many people remembered to thank Him for what He had done.

Xiao Hui got off her bench, walked to a quiet spot where no one was watching and fell on her knees. There, she began to pray profusely for God to help her church in every endeavor it was in, for God to look at the needs of the lonely and unwanted in society and for her entire nation Singapore to come to know the Lord, one day.

The Lord smiled as His hands prepared to move.